Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Margaret Thatcher's Handbag

So today was fairly eventful. This morning I found a mall here, called The Grafton, and found the pound store, called Poundland. That's right, the equivalent of the dollar store, just British and, due to exchange rates, more expensive, but still an awesome deal for here. I got a big tube of Colgate toothpaste for 1 pound, so that was pretty exciting.

Then I came back to campus and ate some spinach and granola bars in my room for lunch because I'm weird and haven't quite figured out my meal routines yet.

After a bit I walked to the University Societies Fair, but realized the line was insane and that I needed to leave without seeing any of it so that I could get to my appointment to set up a bank account on time. I made this appointment last week on Thursday and was set to come see someone today at 2:30. I got my bank account, but I didn't get out of there until 4. I had to rush as fast as possible back up to my college and then the maths (that's right, I'm starting to say maths because people won't understand me otherwise) building to meet with a professor who is my Director of Studies. After the 10 minute conversation, I went back to Churchill College for the tour of the Churchill Archives, which I can see from the window of my room:

It's the building on the far right which has the vertical white cement sort of pattern on the outside. I actually got to see the shelves upon shelves of archives where Churchill's papers are stored. Also, Margaret Thatcher's papers are there as well. As for some non-paper artefacts, they have John Cockcroft's nobel prize as well as one of Margaret Thatcher's handbags. It was black and sort of alligator-patterned. Sorry to be disappointing and not have a picture.
I also got to read a letter from Francis Crick (of Watson and Crick) to Winston Churchill involving a chapel and a brothel... it's a good story and I'll try to post the highlights tomorrow as it's getting late and I have my first meetings for part iii maths in the morning.

No comments: