Friday, July 17, 2009

Photos from Antwerp

The second day in Belgium, I went to Antwerp. First, I went and looked at Pelikaanstraat (Pelican Street) near the train station, which is lined with diamond stores. Most of the diamonds sold in the world actually pass through Antwerp at some point. It's a fun place to go window shopping for a few minutes. Later I saw the Diamantmuseum (Diamond Museum) which examined the process of mining and cutting diamonds.
Here's a view of the great market in Antwerp, just to give more of sense of Belgian architecture:

On the walk into another part of town , I passed through a nice park. Suddenly, I noticed one of the rabbits in the park, and I thought it looked like someone's escaped pet rabbit or something. But looking around, there were a lot of large, colorful rabbits living in the park.As I watched them and took photos, a woman came along and fed bread to the rabbits as well as some pigeons and chickens in the area.
Then, I went to Antwerp's Church of Our Lady. The main part of the interior is below, but on the sides there were a great number of paintings out for viewing, largely by Rubens and contemporaries.
The following two photos are the exterior of the cathedral, the tower and then one of the entrances.


No comments: